Saturday, March 14, 2009

An Astonishing Feat

 

    Okay, so I tend to be a musical theatre snob.  It's true!  I admit it.  But if you knew the people that I went to college with, you'd understand why.  We were all snobs!  I started my time at Muhlenberg College thinking Jekyll & Hyde was a terrific musical.  Things had to change.  Eventually, someone has to teach you that Frank Wildhorn and Andrew Lloyd Webber are no good.  It's a hard fact to face, but it's the truth.  *Side note: I still listen to Jekyll & Hyde ... I call it my guilty pleasure.

    You can only imagine the fear that went through my body when my friend, Jessica Berger, told me that she was in a production of Little Women at the historic Strand Theatre of Lakewood, New Jersey.  I remember when I found out the Strand was doing Little Women.  I thought, "What?  Wildhorn's Dracula wasn't available?"  Terrible show!  I mean terrible!  The show ran on Broadway for 55 previews and 137 performances.  I was "lucky" enough to see one of those performances.  Forgive me, please!  Sutton Foster was starring and I just couldn't resist!  She's just terrific!  Anyway, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  There were more happy and upbeat songs in this production than Forever Plaid.  If I remember from high school, wasn't Little Women a sad story?  Am I not supposed to cry when the young Beth dies (sorry to those who have not read it, yet ... but get on that!)? 

    Anyway, Jessica Berger has been a friend for many years.  A talent rival when we were young, but nevertheless, a friend whose talent I can't help but admire.  She can act, dance, and sing better than many of the "professionals" I've seen on the Great White Way.  She texted me one day and said (all in caps), "I'M PLAYING JO IN LITTLE WOMEN AT THE STRAND!!!"  My reaction was a mixed feeling of happiness and illness.  While I loved the prospect of hearing Jessica sing "Astonishing" (the power-ballad that makes the show possibly worth seeing), I felt sick thinking I was going to have to sit through that show again!

    Months went by and I honestly forgot about the production.  She would text me occasionally, but I didn't pay too much attention.  You know when you know you should see something, but you don't want to, so you kind of ignore it?  Sort of like when you didn't really want to see Slumdog Millionaire, but you just knew you "had to see it."  Anyway, signs were all over town and people were telling me good things.  I hate it when people say good things about bad theater.  It's just depressing.  I also received about four Facebook messages a week reminding me (and a bunch of other people) to see the show!  Thanks for those, Jess.

    Anyway, I finally planned a night to see the show.  It was sad to walk into the theater and see that the entire balcony was empty, as well as a good portion of the orchestra.  This sadness was combined with a little satisfaction.  I felt like finding the producer and saying, "I told you so."  Nevertheless, I grabbed a seat in the front of the balcony, even though my seat was in the orchestra.  I wanted to sit alone and away from the stage in case I fell asleep.

    The lights finally went down and the overture began.  Already, I was bored.  Then Jessica appeared on stage.  She began to sing and I was reminded why I sacrificed a Friday night to see Little Women: The Musical.  Her voice was miraculous; she rivaled Sutton Foster, one of my favorites on Broadway.  The real pleasure was thinking back to her performances in high school and seeing how she has grown so much in seven years.  She was always a talented girl.  Looking back, I was often jealous of her.  Being a boy, it was easier for me to get attention because I could sing.  But this girl, Jessica, got attention even though she was a girl - a dime a dozen.  But the truth was she was anything but just another singing female.  She did have her problems; she had a weird thing where she threw her hands in the air and walked around back and forth when she sang.  Still, it was obvious that she would go somewhere.  After graduating high school (two years after me), she ended up attending the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, despite my advice to attend a four-year college.   

    I still cannot help but think that she would be better off with a degree like me.  But then I think about the fact that she is actually trying.  She auditions.  She works.  She struggles.  But she keeps pushing.  I admire her very much.  I can't be easy to be so talented and not get the respect and admiration one deserves.  I know that she will be something someday.  Though I know it can't always be easy for her, I admire her dedication and determination.  But most of all, I admire her talent and her willingness to hone her craft.  She never stops learning, which is the most important thing about being a performer.  Though I rarely miss performing and love being a teacher, seeing Jessica reminds me of the joy I experienced when I was on the stage.  Maybe someday, if Bonnie and I ever start a theater like we talk about doing, we'll invite Jessica Berger to come and play Annie Oakley and perhaps I'll be worthy to be her Frank Butler (we should have in high school, but our director was blind to the obvious).  That is, unless Jess is too big of a star to come to Bucks County to entertain.  The New York audiences might miss her too much!

    When the Act I finale, "Astonishing," began, I was propelled to the edge of my seat.  She had me with every word and every note.  The audience was captivated.  It was stunning.  All readers can hear the beautiful rendition at the link below - I taped it with a digital voice recorder.  I defy you to not marvel in the voice.  Though you'll hear the acting, it's nothing compared to watching the emotional performance live. 

    While I know Jessica experiences disappointments along the way - and she will experience more to come - I hope that she never gives up her dream of being a performer in bigger and better venues.  It would be a huge waste of talent, skill, and entertaining nights for audiences all over the world.  Furthermore, she fixed the throwing-of-the-hands thing!  She didn't do it once the whole night!  Congratulations, Jess.

 


 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment