Friday, May 30, 2008

Why I have this ...

Tonight, Friday, May 30th, my fiancee and I went to see Sex and the City: The Movie. No I am not gay, though my opinion of the movie would definitely give someone that impression, as would my love for musical theater. These are all things we can discuss later. The point is, after the movie was over, as we were driving home with her best friend in the back seat, I realized that I wanted to write about this. This is not unusual. When I was in college, I wrote a lot. I was a theater major and an English minor. Shortly after graduation, I earned my degree in English and became a certified high school English teacher. I have always hated the idea that "those who can't do, teach." For that reason, and the constant urge, I decided to write every now and then. Usually, the topic of my writing is about television or theater. The problem was I never had anywhere to put this stuff. I thought about writing a book, but what would the topic be? I have so many things I like to write about. Would people care? Maybe not ... But should I only write for people who care? Shouldn't I just be able to express my ideas. Furthermore, what right do I have teaching fourteen-year-olds how to write when I don't do it myself?

So I told Bonnie that I felt an urge to write and she said, "You know what? You need a blog." I went home (well, her house) and got on the computer and immediately Googled "blog" and found this web site. I've heard of this blog site (thanks to my fellow English teacher, Cara Restaino -- who also has a true love of the written word) and so here I am!

I figure "Joe's Spot" can just be a place for me to write about things that interest me. Sometimes I can write about topics that are bothering me, exciting me, or just keeping my mind going. Often, I will talk about plays, movies, or television shows I've seen. I will also give my opinion, which is something I love to do.

Anyway, this is "Joe's Spot" and this is the first Blog. Now what next? Oh ... Sex and the City: The Movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment